Apply to the Design Graduate Program
All applicants must apply to the university's Graduate School in addition to the Department of Art and Art History.
Please review instructions and submission deadlines below.
Submit Graduate School Application; Pay Fee
Suggested Deadline: December 15, 2016
The application for admission to the university's Graduate School is completed online at ApplyTexas.org. Review the notes below before beginning the application.
We strongly recommend that you submit the ApplyTexas portion of your application by December 15, 2016 in order to give the writers of your letters of recommendation ample time to upload their letters before the January 6, 2017
deadline for receipt of all application materials.
- In the References section, provide names and email addresses of three recommenders. A secure email link will be sent to each person after you submit your application and pay the application fee.
- In the Statements section, simply type the following: My statements are being submitted through SlideRoom.
- $65 for U.S. applicants and permanent residents
- $90 for International applicants
- Payable online with Visa or Mastercard when completing the ApplyTexas application, or learn about other payment options
will open in a new browser window
Submit Transcripts, Test Scores, and Letters of Recommendations
Deadline: January 6, 2017
All of the following are submitted to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) of the university's Graduate School.
- GIAC encourages all transcripts to be submitted electronically. Institutions that are on the Texas Electronic Transcript Network or which use the national ANSI ASC X12 transcript format (SPEEDE) can provide electronic transcripts. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent via the SPEEDE server.
- If your institution cannot send transcripts via SPEEDE, you may upload a scanned PDF copy of your official transcript(s) from all undergraduate and graduate institutions. At this time, we do not accept PDF documents generated by your registrar or pdf scans of unofficial (student view) transcripts. If you upload a PDF of your transcript and are offered admission, you will need to then have an official copy of your transcript sent via mail.
- Transcripts are not required from any college that offers no coursework beyond the sophomore level (i.e. community or junior college).
- Applicants who have previously attended UT Austin will be billed an additional $10 separately through UT Direct “What I Owe” for transcripts. Please do not order transcripts directly from the UT registrar as this will slow processing considerably. More information regarding transcripts can be found at
- Learn more about submitting transcripts to GIAC.
- GRE scores are not required for admission to the Design graduate program.
International applicants must take either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the Academic Examination of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam and earn at least the minumum scores below. If you hold a bachelor's degree from a U.S. institution or an English-only speaking country, these tests are waived. View a list of countries from which students need not submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
TOEFL (Minimum Scores)
Paper Test: 550
Computer-Based Test: 213
Internet-Based Test: 79
IELTS (Minimum Score)
Overall Band Score: 6.5
Although not required, Design prefers applicants score higher than 93 on the TOEFL iBT. Particularly excellent applicants who score lower than the Division’s preference may be asked to take summer ESL coursework prior to enrolling as a condition of admission.
Scores must be received by January 6, 2017. We strongly recommend taking your test by December 1 to insure your scores are received on time. Receipt of TOEFL or IELTS scores after the deadline
could result in disqualification of an application.
The code for the UT–Austin (for TOEFL) is 6882. No department code is needed.
Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Letters must be received from recommenders by January 6, 2017
- When you complete the References section of your ApplyTexas application, you provide names and email addresses of your three recommenders. A secure email link will be sent to each person after you submit your application and pay the application fee. This is the required method for receiving letters.
- Letters of recommendation may come from individuals both directly and indirectly related to the field of Design.
Submit Department Application and Portfolio Via SlideRoom
Deadline: January 6, 2017 at 11:59pm
The department application and portfolio are submitted online through SlideRoom. Review the notes below before beginning the application. Absolutely no late applications will be accepted–no exception.
You may submit up to ten projects. All ten projects should be included in one multiple-page PDF file, which includes:
- appropriate visual documentation of the project
- project title, date, client (if relevant), and dimensions or duration
- your role/contribution to the project if the project was a collaborative group project
- any pertinent and relevant project description/information (optional)
Video and Sound
SlideRoom currently does not allow time-based projects (video or sound) to be
embedded in PDF files. Please mention in your PDF that a time-based work has been submitted as a separate file. These files should be clearly titled.
Alternatively, you may provide a link in the PDF to a video hosted on YouTube or Vimeo.
Total time for all video/sound projects should not exceed nine minutes. Depending on the nature of the project, we suggest documentation for any one project should not exceed three minutes in length (you may include clips rather than the entire piece).
- Along with the visual portfolio, you should upload your Statement of Interest and Resume (as described below), each as a separate PDF.
- The University of Texas Electronic Identification code will be emailed to you two days following submission of your ApplyTexas application.
Current and Previous Degrees, Institutions and Date Received
- Please list the degrees you currently hold and/or will receive between now and the proposed semester of admission, noting when you received (or will receive) them (e.g. BFA, Main Street University, 2012)
- Do not include institutions from which you did not receive a degree (summer schools, post-baccalaureate certificates, etc.)
List of References
- Please list the names and titles of the same three references that you submitted to ApplyTexas (e.g. John Doe, Associate Professor at Main Street University)
Statement of Purpose
- Describe, in a separate PDF, your goals in undertaking graduate study. Your statement should explain your research interests within the field of design and explain, if applicable, how the work in the portfolio relates to them.See Admission Criteria here for more statement information.
Resume or CV
- Submit, as a separate PDF, a résumé or CV that includes your full mailing address, phone number(s), email address, and Skype address.
will open in a new browser window
After initial screening of application materials, the Graduate Studies Committee may extend an invitation to short-listed applicants to interview via video conference (e.g. Skype) or telephone between mid-January and mid-February. In the event that interviews are conducted, they constitute additional evidence on which to
base admissions decisions.
In contrast, conversations or meetings taking place outside of these formal interviews
are not weighed in admissions decisions. You are welcome to contact Graduate Coordinator kt shorb to schedule an informal meeting to answer questions, but official
interviews with the Graduate Studies Committee are extended only to selected candidates.
Check the Status of Your Application
You can confirm receipt of your application materials and check on the status of your application by using the My Status website. Please do not contact the Department to confirm receipt of materials; it is your responsibility to ensure that all materials are uploaded by the deadline.
- You may upload pdf documents of your transcripts using My Status. Transcript uploads should show up in My Status instantaneously.
- Disregard the notice that your electronic ApplyTexas Statement is Needed. The faculty only use the SlideRoom version of your Statements. Do not mail a hardcopy of your statements to any university office.
- When it displays Received for SlideRoom, all SlideRoom materials were received: portfolio, two statements, and resume. There will be a three-to-five business day lag time between the date you submit your SlideRoom materials and when My Status displays Received for SlideRoom materials. Please do not contact the department to confirm receipt of materials.
will open in a new browser window