The Department of Art and Art History requires all incoming students in Art History, Design, Studio Art, and Visual Art Studies to have a laptop computer. Classroom instruction, course assignments and research in and out of class hours will require the use of a personal computer. Students majoring in Design, Studio Art, or Visual Art Studies who are enrolled in the Art and Art History (AAH) Core sequence will need to subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud, which is available at a discounted student rate of $20/month.
The Department of Art and Art History uses Apple hardware and the most current software in its labs and digital facilities. To ensure compatibility between the department’s digital infrastructure and student assignments, it is highly recommended that students purchase an Apple laptop running the latest operating system. Additionally, we recommend a minimum of 16GB RAM to ensure ease when running Adobe Creative Cloud.
The department recommends the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (purchase through the Apple education store online or through UT Austin's Campus Computer Store for a discount).
15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display:
- 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
- 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
- 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics
- Force Touch trackpad
- Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
- Accessory Kit
$1,899.00 (with educational discount and before taxes)
If you need more information, please contact Jed Lawnsby, the Department of Art and Art History's computer lab manager, at 512-232-5479 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you qualify for financial aid? You may be able to apply aid to the purchase of your laptop. Please see the below instructions for seeking help from UT Office Of Student Financial Services with your Laptop purchase.
- Contact OSFS office and request a budget adjustment for the required laptop.
- You will need to indicate that you are a Department of Art and Art History student majoring in Art History, Design, Studio Art, or Visual Art Studies (Art Education).
- An escalation will be created and an OSFS counselor will complete the aid revision.
Download the FAQ about the laptop requirement.