Application Deadline: December 1
- Begin your ApplyTexas application to the university by following the Office of Admissions instructions.
- Applicants to Studio Art, Design, and Visual Art Studies must also submit a portfolio through SlideRoom to complete their application.
- All applicants must submit a response to essay topic D as their second required essay.
Things to Know
New students are admitted for the fall semester only.
To be considered for admission to the Department of Art and Art History, you must select one of the following programs as your first-choice major:
- BA Art History (570700) No Portfolio Required
- BA Design (570900) Portfolio Required
- BFA Design (509954) Portfolio Required
- BA Studio Art (570800) Portfolio Required
- BFA Studio Art (509953) Portfolio Required
- BFA Visual Art Studies (509956) Portfolio Required
Applicants not admitted to BFA Design will automatically be considered for admission to BFA Studio Art. Please do not submit two portfolios.
Students can only apply to ONE major in the department. Second choice majors must be selected from a different college/school at the university.
For more information about the degree plans that we offer, visit our individual program pages or download our 2016-2018 Undergraduate Degree Guidelines for Prospective Students (pdf).
Your portfolio is an opportunity to show us your technical skills, your ideas, creativity, and what makes you unique. Submit 12 of your best works. Two of your submissions must be observational or perspective drawings. Please take a moment to check out our Portfolio 101 and FAQ - this is going to be an excellent tool to understand what we would like to see in your portfolio.
Additional questions? Read through our Department of Art and Art History FAQ. Want feedback on your work? Attend a portfolio day or reach out to our admissions team for a portfolio review.
- Create a SlideRoom Account.
- Choose your mode of admission (Freshman) and program (BA or BFA Studio Art, BA or BFA Design, BFA Art Education/ Visual Art Studies). Make sure that your major selection on SlideRoom matches your major on your Apply Texas application.
- Answer some basic questions.
- Upload your media.
- Submit your portfolio by December 1.
- Check your MyStatus page. Portfolios should display as received within 5 business days.