Application Deadline: December 1
- Begin your ApplyTexas application to the university by following the Office of Admissions instructions.
- Applicants to Studio Art, Design, and Visual Art Studies must also submit a portfolio through SlideRoom to complete their application.
- All applicants must submit a response to essay topic D as their second required essay.
Things to Know
New students are admitted for the fall semester only.
To be considered for admission to the Department of Art and Art History, you must select one of the following programs as your first-choice major:
- BA Art History (570700) No Portfolio Required
- BA Design Portfolio Required
- BFA Design (509904) Portfolio Required
- BA Studio Art (570800) Portfolio Required
- BFA Studio Art (509953) Portfolio Required
- BFA Visual Art Studies (509956) Portfolio Required
Applicants not admitted to BFA Design will automatically be considered for admission to BFA Studio Art. Please do not submit two portfolios.
Students can only apply to ONE major in the department. Second choice majors must be selected from a different college/school at the university.
For more information about the degree plans that we offer, visit our individual program pages or download our 2016-2018 Undergraduate Degree Guidelines for Prospective Students (pdf).
Your portfolio is an opportunity to show us your technical skills, your creativity and ideas, and what makes you unique. Submit 12 of your best works. Two of your submissions must be observational or perspective drawings.
How to Assemble a Strong Portfolio
- Place your strongest works first.
- Submit works that closely relate to your major of choice.
- Crop out the negative space around the work; or photograph works against a neutral background.
Questions? Read through our helpful FAQ. Still feeling lost? Attend a portfolio day or reach out to our admissions team for a portfolio conversation or consultation.
- Create a SlideRoom Account.
- Choose your mode of admission (Freshman) and program (BA Studio Art, BFA Studio Art, BA Design, BFA Design, BFA Art Education/ Visual Art Studies).
- Answer some basic questions.
- Upload your media.
- Submit your portfolio by December 1.
- Check your MyStatus page. Portfolios should display as received within 5 business days.