woman walking through hole in refrigerator door

Undergraduate Academic Advising

Undergraduate Academic Advisor

Marie Du Mond

Due to social distancing policies, the advisor is not available via phone or in-person.
512/ 475-7718
Doty Fine Arts Building (DFA) 2.530


In-person office hours are currently suspended due to social distancing policies. Current Art & Art History students have been provided a link to schedule appointments via Zoom. Check your emails for this link or contact your advisor for assistance making an appointment.

The first twelve class days of fall and spring semesters, as well as the mandatory advising periods during October and April, are peak advising times. During those periods, the advisor is only able to assist current majors of the department with pressing advising / registration concerns. Non-Majors will be turned away during mandatory advising periods and can only be assisted on the last day of registration during access period #1 and the first four class days.

Mandatory Academic Advising

Current majors in the Department of Art and Art History must be advised before they can register for any semester or summer session. If you do not attend mandatory advising during the assigned dates, you will not be able to register for classes for the next semester until the week before it begins.

In general, advising and registration for continuing students occurs in October for the following spring semester and in April for the following summer sessions and fall semester. (Newly admitted freshmen and transfer students register for their first semester during New Student Orientation.)

Mandatory advising is a time for the student to inform the advisor of registration choices they plan to make for the upcoming semester. The advisor and student review the student's record and degree requirements. Each student may only be seen once, for 10 minute appointments. Lengthy questions and conversations are not possible during these brief meetings. Students who know they need more than 10 minutes for advising should address in-depth concerns with the Undergraduate Advisor before the mandatory advising period begins.

A student’s advising bar may only be cleared during the dates and times listed in the advising email that is sent by the Undergraduate Advisor.

How to Prepare for Mandatory Advising

1. Your advisor will begin sending you emails a couple of weeks prior to the start of the Mandatory Advising period. Be looking for these emails, read them carefully, follow the instructions, and schedule an appointment as directed.

2. Download and review the following Advising & Registration Checklist.

Advising & Registration Checklist

3. Download, complete, and print out the Registration Advising Worksheet (RAW). You must bring a completed RAW to your advising session in order to have your advising bar cleared. The advisor may not clear your advising bar if you have not brought the form to your advising session. Note: Your advisor will provide you with a link to submit this info digitally if you are being advised via Zoom.

Registration Advising Worksheet

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I claim credit or placement from credit earned in high school?

You claim credit or placement on the Student Testing Services website. You can also register to take a test, to place out of a course.

How can I find out what a certain UT course is like?

You can review course syllabi, as well as course instructor CVs and reviews, via the Access Syllabi website. Review the current or previous semester’s syllabi to get a general idea of course content. Syllabi for courses in the upcoming semester are typically not posted until the beginning of that semester.

How do I know if the classes I just registered for are or are not fulfilling degree requirements?

Request an Interactive Degree Audit for your specific degree and catalog year. Make sure to include ‘Future Registered Courses’ when you request the audit, to view classes you are registered for in the upcoming semester. Once you’ve requested the audit, then click on Audit Results. Current and future classes should appear on the right hand side, in the Courses field, if they count towards requirements. Courses that do not count towards any requirement are listed at the top or bottom of the audit.

How do I know if a general education course will count towards my Core Curriculum requirements?

All Core-approved classes are listed online on the UGS website under your catalog year. Online petitions are also an option for Common Core and Flags.

I don’t know what classes and requirements I still need to fulfill in order to complete my degree.

Refer to the Degree Guidelines to see all requirements for your degree. Then, run an Interactive Degree Audit to see what requirements you have already fulfilled and which ones you still lack. If you still have questions, or are unclear about any requirment, see the Undergraduate Academic Advisor.

I plan to take courses at a community college. How do I know which ones transfer into UT and apply towards my degree?

First, discuss your plans with your academic advisor.

Next, pick up the permission form in the Undergraduate Advising office and submit it to the COFA Office of Student Affairs (DFA 1.103), at least two or three weeks before registering for the courses. This will ensure that you have time to receive a SAN message of approval, or not, from COFA Student Affairs. The form will require you to do the research and find the courses on the Automated Transfer Equivalency (ATE) website. It’s a good idea to review Common Transfer Credit Issues. It’s also suggested that you review the UT residency rules listed on your Interactive Degree Audit.

After you complete the coursework to be transferred, be sure to have a transcript immediately sent to the UT Austin Office of Admissions.

Office of Admissions
University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 8058
Austin, TX 78713-8058

I would like to petition a class that’s not counting how I thought it would count towards my major requirements. What should I do?

First, talk with your academic advisor, preferably well before mandatory advising. Next, visit the COFA Office of Student Affairs (DFA 1.103) in person to initiate a substitute petition. Remember, if you are trying to petition the Core Curriculum, you will have to follow the steps for Petitions on the UGS website.

How do I add or drop a class during the add/drop period, and what are the deadlines?

Review the Registrar’s registration page, the official UT Academic Calendar and COFA’s Deadlines page.

How do I “Late Add” a class in this department?

Note: Students will not be late-added to waitlisted or closed courses.

You must first email the professor of the class and copy in the email the staff member listed below who assists with the course that you want to late-add. After you receive a reply email from the professor (giving consent to late-add) you may stop by the staff office listed below so that you may be late-added in person. You may also contact the appropriate staff member below by email in order to be late-added, but make extra sure that all the information you have provided is correct, and send the professor consent email to the staff member.

This info must be included in the email:

  • UT student EID
  • Course name and unique you are asking permission to late-add
  • Course name and unique you need us to drop in order to late-add
  • Please double check to make sure that the unique numbers you are providing us are correct
  • When asking for professor consent in the email, you are encouraged to tell the professor that you need their reply prior to the deadline to late add: 4pm on the 12th class day

For Art History (ARH) courses:

Michelle Fandrich
Office: ART 3.328

For Studio Art (ART) and Visual Art Studies (VAS) courses:

Marie Du Mond
Office: DFA 2.530

How do I “Late Add” a class in another department?

Use the Offices A-Z website to find contact info for the undergraduate academic advisor of the department offering the course. Contact that department to learn their policies regarding “late adding” options, which differ for each department.

I’m not completely sure, but I think I should drop a class. What should I do?

Talk to your academic advisor first, who will be able to instruct you on next steps. For majors in this department, Q Drops are started in the COFA Office of Student Affairs (DFA 1.103). Review COFA’s Deadlines page.

I have other questions about registration. Help!

Talk to your academic advisor. Also refer to the Registrar’s FAQ for Registration.

Back to top