Looking for information about this program before applying?
Learn about the undergraduate Studio Art program →
UT Austin Application:
Department of Art and Art History Additional Requirements:
Students must submit their UT Austin online application by December 1 and all additional required or optional application items by December 9, which includes the portfolio submission. Please note, the Department of Art and Art History does not consider students for early acceptance.
1. Complete the admission application to UT Austin.
Things to Know
Freshman applicants for fall 2023 can submit their UT Austin application using either the Common App or ApplyTexas.
When prompted in the application, enter your first-choice major as one of the following:
BA Studio Art (510100)
BFA Studio Art (509953)
In addition to the three short-answer questions required of UT Austin applicants, Department of Art and Art History students will also answer the following short-answer question:
"In 500 words or less, please tell us about a time when an artwork, artist or art teacher impacted your life. How did this inspire you to pursue an education in the arts?"
2. Submit your portfolio and additional short answers.
Things to Know
After you submit your UT Austin application, you will receive an email that includes your UT EID (university digital identification), allowing you to access the MyStatus website, our application tracking system.
Once you have received your UT EID, you will be able to access the portfolio uploader via MyStatus.
Once you have accessed the portfolio uploader, you will submit the following:
- Short Answer: What has your art experience been thus far? Please describe the art instruction you may have received in school and outside of school.
- Artist Statement: What kind(s) of art do you make? What ideas are you passionate about? Why is making art important to you?
- Resume (optional)
- Portfolio: 12 pieces of work, with 2 being from direct observation. Learn how to prepare your portfolio.
3. Track the status of your application materials.
Make sure to submit all required materials to complete your UT Austin application (application fee, essays, short answers, and transcripts).
Letters of Recommendation and SAT/ACT scores are optional for fall 2023 applicants.
- If you are unsure if your application is complete, use MyStatus to view your remaining steps.